2017: Year in Review
December 29, 2017
Much has happened in the past year and people are researching, interacting and engaging more and more online. We’ve collected some of the “tops” and “mosts” on Google, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter as we look back at 2017.
Top Global Searches on Google
1. Hurricane Irma
2. iPhone 8
3. iPhone X
4. Matt Lauer
5. Meghan Merkle
Most Discussed Events on Facebook
1. International Women’s Day – The most talked about moment of the year, doubling from 2016
2. Super Bowl 51 – People discussed the game, Lady Gaga and the commercials and videos related to the Super Bowl got 262 million views
3. Las Vegas violence – The attack sparked conversation around the world and led to 3,300 people offering help through Facebook’s Crisis Response
Most Social Action-Inspiring Events on Facebook
1. Earthquake in Mexico – Drove the highest amount of interactions within Facebook’s Crisis Response
2. Hurricane Harvey – The community fundraised $20 million for relief efforts
3. One Love Manchester – The benefit concert for the Manchester attacks got 80 million views and raised $450,000
Top Instagram posts (measured by likes)
2. Christiano Ronaldo
3. Selena Gomez
I’m very aware some of my fans had noticed I was laying low for part of the summer and questioning why I wasn’t promoting my new music, which I was extremely proud of. So I found out I needed to get a kidney transplant due to my Lupus and was recovering. It was what I needed to do for my overall health. I honestly look forward to sharing with you, soon my journey through these past several months as I have always wanted to do with you. Until then I want to publicly thank my family and incredible team of doctors for everything they have done for me prior to and post-surgery. And finally, there aren’t words to describe how I can possibly thank my beautiful friend Francia Raisa. She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me. I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis. Lupus continues to be very misunderstood but progress is being made. For more information regarding Lupus please go to the Lupus Research Alliance website: www.lupusresearch.org/ -by grace through faith
5. Cristiano Ronaldo
Most Instagrammed Cities
1. New York, New York
2. Moscow, Russia
3. London, United Kingdom
4. Sao Paulo, Brazil
5. Paris, France
Most Instagrammed Locations
1. Disneyland – Anaheim, USA
2. Times Square – New York City, USA
3. Central Park – New York City, USA
4. Tour Eiffel – Paris, France
5. Tokyo Disneyland – Chiba, Japan
Gained the Most Followers on Instagram
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (@cristiano) – 30M+
2. Selena Gomez (@selenagomez) – 24M+
3. Ariana Grande (@arianagrande) – 22M+
4. Kylie Jenner (@kyliejenner) – 23M+
5. Dwayne Johnson (@therock) – 22M+
Hashtags that Increased in Popularity the Most
Got the Most Views on their Instagram Stories
1. LeLe Pons (@lelepons)
2. Neymar Jr. (@neymarjr)
3. Olga Buzova (@buzova86)
4. Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian)
5. Amanda Cerny (@amandacerny)
Most Popular Tweets (measured by retweets)
1. A high school student asks Wendy’s how many retweets he needs to get a year of free chicken nuggets. (Wendy’s replied)
2. Obama quotes Nelson Mandela and responds to the Charlottesville white supremacist’s rally and tragedy.
3. Penn State University pledges 15 cents for every retweet (capped at $10k) to donate to the hurricane relief effort in Houston.
4. Ariana Grande responds to the attack that killed 22 at her concert in Manchester, England.
5. Obama bids farewell and asks everyone to believe in their ability to create change.
6. Linkin Park pays tribute to lead singer, Chester Bennington, following his suicide.
7. Lebron James called Trump a “bum” after uninviting fellow basketball star, Steph Curry, to the White House despite Curry already announcing that he won’t accept the invitation.
8. Obama says goodbye as President, says serving was the honor of his life.
9. Sam Martin, punter for the Detroit Lion’s, pledges dog food in exchange for retweets for the hurricane relief effort in Houston.
10. Social media personality Seth Joesph brings more awareness to the suicide hotline after the hit song “1-800-273-8255” by Logic featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid.